History

History

Short History

The present school was built in 1952. Before this the school was situated in the church grounds. It consisted of two rooms both divided by curtains, one was a boys school the other was a girls school. There was two ladies and two gent teachers, Mrs. Kelly (Infants) from the local area, Mrs. Higgins - the chemists wife, Mr. Hoggins and Mr. O’Rourke. The playground was located on the present parish green. There was no roof on any of the toilets - the boys were known to climb over the wall into the girl’s toilet which brought trouble. In 1952 the boys and the girls moved to the present building but remained separate. A Mr. P. Kavanagh took over as principal. Tom O’Neill (from Grangecon) also joined the teaching staff and subsequently became principal in the 1960’s when the boys and girls amalgamate


Merginstown National School situated close by closed down thus bringing more numbers to the school. In the late 70’s and 80’s the present junior and sixth class rooms plus the hall were added to our school. This remained unchanged until 2006 when a new six classroom extension was built on to the rear of the school.

School Type. Mixed Catholic national School

About Dunlavin

  • Dunlavin (Dún Leamhán) means the Fort of the Elm Tree.
  • Dunlavin became a market town in 1661.
  • People came to sell vegetables and animals which were weighed in the Market House.
  • Dunlavin passed to the Worth-Tynte family who were responsible for the building of the Market house in 1740.
  • In 1798 36 prisoners were held in the Market House. They were brought to Dunlavin Green at the top of the town and were shot.
  • In 1825 the Market House was repaired.
  • Close to the Market House is a park which holds ancient headstones.
  • The Protestant Church was built in 1816.
  • Dunlavin had its own hotels, banks, bakery, mineral water company and coach makers.
  • Dunlavin had its own train station from 22nd June 1885 to the 1950’s.
  • The Catholic Church (dedicated to St. Nicholas of Myra) was built on land donated by the local Tynte Family. The Church dates from 1815.
  • Dunlavin: Province – Leinster
  • Elevation – 158m (518ft)
  • Population - 1292



Events
May
13 2019
Standardised Maths and English tests
May
24 2019
School closed for election
May
25 2019
First Holy Communion
May
27 2019
School closure for Curriculum Planning Day
May
28 2019
4th class tour to Aquatic Centre
Contact Us
 
 
 
Contact
Scoil Nioclais Naofa,
Stephen Street
Dunlavin
Co. Wicklow
Ireland

045 401495

Music Generation Wicklow
Green School
Location
© 2019 Scoil Nioclais Naofa